Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Lunch Lady.

Everyone has met that unfamiliar person who acts like your best friend. I’m talking about that out going stranger who gets to know everybody. They will just come right up to you and ask you how you are doing no matter how you may look.

When I went to Fowler Middle School that person was my cafeteria lunch lady.

Gale Sims didn’t care how loud she was when talked with you either. It could be eight in the morning and if you were not awake, you would be, after Gale’s chipper but thunderous greeting.

Sims has been working in schools for over a decade and has positively impacted the lives of countless students. Students who will grow up to be the adults of tomorrow, an impact that is positive and will affect our greater society.

I remember Sims would always make an effort to connect with you whenever she could and when I went to see her again it was no different. The cafeteria smelled strongly of slightly old cheese burgers, typical school cafeteria food. Sims was sweating while preparing some French fries.

You really forget that the nice lady who is happy to see you no matter what she is doing, is also working to get hundreds of student’s lunch.

When she finally had a moment in between lunches I was able to talk with her. I know she didn’t remember me but she never acted like it. Once she knew I was a past student she treated me like I was family coming home for a brief visit.

“I connect with some kids more than others, but I enjoy all students equally, middle school can be tough time for some kids so it doesn’t hurt to give them a smile every once in awhile”

I asked her what her home life was like?

“I have two kids who have gone off to college and a husband who does all the cooking in case you were wondering”

She has been working in the Tigard Tualatin school district for over 15 years

She enjoys working in the school not only for the kids but because she has made many great friendships among staff.

“I love being surrounded by teachers and faculty because we all have one thing in common, helping the youth of tomorrow”.

Sims told me that she had been fortunate enough to be here long enough to watch young middle schoolers grow into students, and new teachers becoming faculty.

“I’m very proud to be a part of it.”

I talked with the school gym teacher Frank Sanders, the only person who had worked at the school as long as Sims and was soon transferring to teach at Tigard high school. He had many things to say about Sims but one thing stuck with me.

“She has not missed a graduation ceremony since she has worked here”

At a Glance

Who: Gale Sims

What: Favorite lunch lady

Family: Mother of two

Where: Tigard Tualatin school district

How long: for 15 years

No comments:

Post a Comment